- Elizabeth Smelser & James Taylor Family
- Elizabeth Smelser is Isaiah Smelser's daughter. She was born 12 Oct 1822
- She married James Taylor 12 Nov 1843 in Knox Co, IL. The Taylor family
traveled across the plains and arrived in Oregon Territory November 1852. They
settled first in the foothills near Brownsville, Linn Co, OR on a land claim that was made
on 1 June 1853..
- In 1873, the family sold their land claim in Linn Co and bought land by Willow
- Ione. There, they raised Cattle. They sold the ranch in 1879 and
moved to Baker County.
- In 1879 they were ranching in the Muddy Creek area of Baker Co, Oregon near
- children. They remained in Baker Co, OR the rest of their lives.
- They had eight children:
- A. William H. Taylor of Linn Co, OR
- B. I. T.
Taylor of Baker Co, OR
- C. Susan J.
Taylor who married S. P. Herring of Baker Co, OR
- D. Melinda
Ann who married Joseph L. Savage of Baker Co, OR
- E. John J.
who died young
- F. Julia
Ann who married Alonzo Long
- G. Mary E.
who married J. D. Simons of Baker Co, OR
- H. Mini L.
who married J. M. Burnside.
- All of their children lived their lives in the Muddy Creek and Haines area with
- of William. He suffered from Asthma, which made it difficult to live
- Elizabeth Smelser Taylor and husband James Taylor are buried in Rock Creek
Cemetery which is located about 5 miles west of Haines, Baker Co, OR.